PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police officers 'Commandeering' civ helos - opinion?
Old 7th Dec 2002, 09:22
PANews

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
THE OTHER SIDE?

I notified Sky Watch of the pprune interest in their operation and pasted some of the earlier text over. Thiis was received this morning.

Dear Bryn ... thanks for the info.
I can't get on the pprune network - but for your info and if you would like to post it on my behalf the Sky Watch response is as follows. (and would you copy me any response that refers please?)

Sky Watch's Opinion
Such a flight would be legal if the aircraft was operating inside the
requirements of the Air Navigation Order with an Air Operator's Certificate, or a Police Air Operator's Certificate - and flown by a Commercial Pilot or ATPL.

BUT - the policeman involved would negate any insurance policies which he had taken out in respect of his life or injuries because of the normal "light aircraft" exclusion clauses. Whenever police officers have been flown in Sky Watch aircraft the force has taken out special insurance for the individual officer. However because of the complications of this - and the side issue of blowing the officer's personal insurance - and possible compensation claims in the event of an accident - Sky Watch's policy nowadays is never to carry passengers other than Sky Watch volunteer personnel - members of the public, or civil or military services personnel will not be carried.

Also the Home Office have pointed out that any police officer requesting aircraft co-operation would be in breach of strict Home Office and Police rules forbidding the use of non-police air operator certificate aircraft on police operations.

Therefore Sky Watch no longer offers its co-operation to the police - even with aircraft in the organisation which operate under an Air Operators' Certificate - and anyway the Association of Chief Police Officers has made it clear that it does not want it and has circulated all police forces warning them off (even though some serious police opinion says that it is crazy not to use in some simple ways a resource of 150 aircraft and helicopters - particularly as the trials with North Yorkshire Police proved
the service worked well).

Sky Watch will not provide free voluntary community air service where the work involved is already covered by a commercial operator, or where a commercial operator would normally be engaged.

Hope this helps,

Kind regards
Arnold Parker, gaffer, Sky Watch

The only paragraph I may take issue with is the one where Arnold states

Also the Home Office have pointed out that any police officer requesting aircraft co-operation would be in breach of strict Home Office and Police rules forbidding ........

I would see these as guidlines rather than strict rules ... after all some forces still use Cessna 172s for police work no matter how often the Home Office wrings its hands.