PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2012, 18:05
Danny42C

Wonderful! - is there a Photo Interpreter in the house?

Profuse thanks to you all!,

Petet (#2426) for the bright idea.
Green Granite (#2427) for the picture.
BEagle (#2428) for the picture and the key dimension.
Fareastdriver (#2429) for the compliment (It's amazing how long some old blister hangars have lasted). Only joking!

The questions come crowding in:

Nobody's mentioned North, I take it the picture is correctly orientated?
I think this must have been taken late in '45, with the war over. I can't see anything that looks like an aircraft. The "runway" is SE/NW, 920 yards, whereas they had about 1100 yards SW/NE (the taxiway was clearly looped-out to give this extra distance). Why didn't they use that? I'm sure we used that direction when it was all grass. (EDIT: Of course they did - I need a new pair of specs - sorry, chaps).

(Have been doing a bit more Googling) Seems the runways were Somerfelt tracking (put down long after my time). Looks as if it's been taken up. But what's this about a hundred yards in from the NW end? Looks like a building of some sorts on the edge of the runway - and there's an access track to it! The footpath across the field looks well used. The whole thing gives the impression of a field not long abandoned. And what are those huge flat-top structures behind the RAF buildings, in the far NW corner?

Perhaps we should close the book on Castle Combe.

Once again, thank you for all the help.

Danny42C

Last edited by Danny42C; 17th Mar 2012 at 19:32.