PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B777 After Thumping Checks...help!
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2012, 17:58
Shintaro Abe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B777 After Thumping Checks...help!

By force of circumstance, I am now a B777 driver after some ten over years on the B744. Without any intention at self-aggrandizement, almost all of my B744 landings had been reasonably smooth with lots of " greasers " even in challenging wind conditions.

Now, after some 2 years on the T-7, I could count the number of decent landings in one hand. I thought the B777 is a great aircraft but I find it wobbly and not speed stable at all in gusty crosswind conditions compared to the B744. The ground spoilers are real " spoilers " as far as smooth landings are concerned; derotation after touchdown is another bitch, it's mostly a crunching thump...it's almost always " after thumping checks " after clearing the runway.

Am I too spoilt after a decade on the " Queen "? It's getting annoying as T-7 colleagues ( who have never flown the Queen ) swear that this 2 dong tube is a super duper contraption. Mind you, I did manage a nice one during a rather nasty crosswind, but the next few ones after that were real disasters. There must be some real super duper B777 aces here on Pprune who can give some good pointers to an old dog here.