PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2012, 16:31
ICBM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I enjoyed your brother's book, but I have also made it through Sharkey's book a couple of times now and even subjected myself to 'RAF Harrier Ground Attack Falklands', which I found a little incoherent.
I too have read all three books and have found each perspective both interesting and unique to the person writing - exactly how one might expect a 'personal' account of the situation they found themselves in. I particularly enjoyed Harrier Ground Attack Falklands if I'm honest and can't really agree with Orca this time on its incoherence(?) Jerry was, in my humble opinion, rightfully frustrated by a rather boisterous RN carrier command chain at the time whose priority was certainly not launching ground attack and CAS sorties but instead seemed to purposefully ignore the very role they were there to carry out. This attitude smarted Sharkey as well - even their own FAA Sea Harrier pilots weren't spared the BS it would seem.

Thread creep from the OP (and I apologise to all) but these books have to be read with respect for the perspective they were written from - the FI campaign was no success story in many many areas but if you want to understand the challenges involved in operating both RN and RAF aircraft from a carrier at war in the early 1980s, from an aircrew side, read all three!

Regards,

ICBM