PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The BA Union Thread I
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2012, 14:02
TorC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ottergirl:

I don't recognise the name though.
Which sort of goes to show that having a name is pretty worthless unless the named person is known to you.

If GMB have a desire to represent BA CC then I would like them to make a formal, full and open offer to each individual to do so. At the moment all one can do is read the basic info on their website and/or communicate with them via the email or phone. Imagine if the 1000's of potential members all start asking questions and all subsequently get individual replies ... very messy and unclear. What is needed is for GMB (or any other union who wishes to do so for that matter) to make us an offer. That offer would have to clearly define what they would do, and how they would go about doing it. The current website, although quite informative still deals in generalisations and a degree of "union-speak".

Two statements on the GMB website jump out at me:

1) "We will ensure our members have a safe and healthy working environment".

No, you won't ENSURE it! The most you can do is work with the company to try and achieve it.

2) "In these difficult times of economic hardship, job security is a must for our members".

To me, that's an obvious, and consequently worthless statement, in the context that it has been made.

It's a catch 22 I suppose. Who wants it more, CC or GMB?

It's unfortunate that (like when joining a new company) one would have to actually join the GMB in order to really find out how it functions and what it can, or cannot do.