PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Clark Institute of Aviation
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2012, 12:01
Bagoongathipon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taras B

To be honest, you got some wrong.
1. Not only bahrainis are in Air Arabia, the Indians are there as well.

2. The restrictive nature of MPL requires an airline to commit to a student even when they havent started it yet. Plus, the airlines are required to have the 12 TAGS as the transition of their training. Obviously, airlines doesnt want to commit their Airplanes for this one. When we were doing our TAGs in cyprus, it was just a way for us to get our license, but CAAP told that no more MPL applicants shall be accepted unless there will be an airline who will commit/sponsor them (including the TAGs).

3. With the shortage of pilots, the on going trend now is getting low timer 150hour CPL IR, have them type rated in A320 then proceed with IOE. It was a cheaper alternative. No 6months groundschool, 120 hours Level D simulator, 12 TAGs required. It just required 1 month groundschool, and 2 months simulator training. Thus, the MPL program proved to be a more expensive option. So the airlines resorted to getting those low timer CPL IR with A320 Type rating. But, the MPL program is still there, i think. Its just airlines would rather get the CPL IR A320 pilots.

4. Air Arabia had its own MPL program. Then, because of the troubles in egypt where they were supposed to open a base and which didnt push through, they suddenly had an excess of pilots. I think there was a proposal wherein Airphil will hire pilots from air arabia. Well, in this case, im not 100% sure.

5. I myself, had 3 years in Clark. It sucks that it happened where I could have finished it in 1 year and should have earned 2years more of income. But you are forgetting something.. before MPL, it takes 1500hours of flying time, plus a certain amount of multi engine time to grab a chance to be accepted in an airline. How long does it take? 1.5-10years or so. Depends on how lucky you are. So if you ask me 3years in Clark with 0 time compared to doing that 1500 hours? I'm definitely glad i took this route. Plus, I was trained for 120hours in A320 sim by experienced airline instructors. That gave me an edge. So in real terms, the MPL route at that time was more meaningful than taking 1500hours CPL IR. Ofcourse the 150 CPL IR Type rating is now the best option. Thats why you see very young first officers now.

6. I asked one of the MPL who just got an airline on how many MPL are still there in clark. He said 4. Who will be having their TAGs in jakarta. Thats what he said. I dont know. But, if thats the case, then the last MPL students you are talking about will be in the airline soon.

7. The foreign pilots? Who are they? Actually, I dont know. I just know about the portugese and singaporean. Maybe 3 more? But, with cebu pac able to hire expats, it just means that CAAP has relaxed its position on hiring Filipino pilots only in the Philippines. Maybe they can try this approach.

Im not biased for clark. They have done wrong things against me. But, my point is, instead of crying, me and my group tried to find a way to work it out.

So, Im replying just to correct the wrong information that is said here. Other than that, if I know its wrong. I wont bother trying to hide it.

3 years is definitely worth it trying to get your dream job. You can ask those from general aviation who've waited years and years for an opportunity in an airline. 3 years is a short time.