PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Falklands' Most Daring Raid'
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2012, 07:55
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
then even if the Argentine eyes and ears were not 'wideawake' it would be something they could hardly miss!
While this may be true and there were probably many other clues. We must never forget the role of intelligence in this matter.

While the role of the intelligence officer "is to give the commander that information that he wants" may be true there are lots of other caveats.

Unpalatable intelligence may be held back at higher levels - remember 'morale'.

The secret squirrel mentality 'knowledge is power' - time and again in Vietnam intel was not passed to aircrew in case they were shot down. The very same intel that might reveal the risk of getting shot down.

Then there is C4I. Today at the click of a mouse we can find out information anywhere, any time and often extremely accurate.

In 1984 I was introduced to ASMA and its ability to pass twitter-type messages between two people or using a paging system send longer messages in near real time like this internet forum. It was revolutionary and much sought after by the RN. It was actually RAF funded and the RN only leased a few sets that had to be swapped between ships. Naturally secret squirrels got first look .

In 1982 communications were much slower. The main method was by message teletype on capacity limited circuits - Flash traffic taking up to one hour and immediate 5 hours. Routine traffic would never have got through.

We thought we had an effective system; how effective was theirs?

From what reydelcastillo says their's was no better
The only info once received before an attack was verbal(1) late at night before May 1st and it only indicated that we all presume that the conflict was going to start early next morning ( which it did) .- I don't know the source(2) I could even guess that the Icia Community(3) may have done their Math and by themself came to the conclusion that it was going to happen
1. Quicker but less detailed.

2. Secret squirrel protecting its source?

3. There are some good intelligence officers out there.

To suggest therefore that the intelligence was out there so they must have known overlooks the realities of the age and tends towards 20-20 hindsight.