PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 7
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2012, 23:37
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK465;

Re, "FPV: barely visible with no trend information associated with it.

KIAS: 187 and increasing, trending to 209."

For clarification, "209" in ten seconds at that specific moment - the trend arrow is a real-time indication that changes as rapidly as the energy of the aircraft does and that varies with pitch, power and even external forces should there be any. Not saying you're not aware of this, I think you are but just for all who examine this..., caution is advised in concluding too much from a snapshot. As you're likely aware, the FPV is partially below the bottom limit of visibility for all PFD information. The "FLY UP" arrows, advising of a very steep ND pitch, are just coming into view. Clearly the AoA is greater than the FPV can fully display.

Regarding "AoA" indications etc, as a former A330 captain I don't know what to "recommend" anymore in terms of making this better. Clearly we can't just focus on "loss of airspeed" as 'cause' simply because when that's fixed, something else will arise. What would you advise we could learn from Islamabad, or Tripoli? Other than "understand the airplane", "fly the airplane", I truly don't know. And more automation?! Heaven deliver me, but I read that that exact solution is being touted and even planned, and it is SO wrong! I understand that a serious discussion is taking place next week at the RAeS, (The Aircraft Commander in the Twenty-first Century?) on these topics.

The discussion on these nine AF447 threads has been so varied, so rich and so populated with perceptive thinking and suggestions that address the exact problem (how do we solve "loss of airspeed?") and the broader problem of human factors and automation, (I have written on this as well) that I think some 'distance' is needed from solutions to percolate and filter through to practicality, enhancement to safety and to cost including certification, training and so on.

Last edited by PJ2; 16th Mar 2012 at 23:53.