PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Falklands' Most Daring Raid'
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2012, 23:36
reydelcastillo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regarding Mr Glojo on post 151 Ground artillery firing on British Ships .- This is what happen back then :

In the afternoon of May 1st the British Ships were seen for the first time and started the Naval Bombardment ,The ships were clearly seen on the Screen if I work the Rdara with a 1 degree negative and in primary Radar with no MTI as days went by the Officer in command of the 155 mm ( friend if mine ) told me one night that he was going to try and make a shot to the ships that were shooting at us .- I was seeing the ships in the Radar and when he made the first shot it happen to be that the Eco of the explosion shows up on the screen . From there on we started to do the math trying to predict the future position of the ship ( which travel at about 8 knots ) the distance at which they where ( about 7 to 8 NM and the time it took the 155 mm projectil took to reach the target ( about 55 seconds ) .- At first we didn't come close , but as day went by a Navy Officer was assigned to the Radar to do the math , and he did very well on it .- We were able to hit close several times .-