PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Falklands' Most Daring Raid'
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2012, 21:43
orca

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone have any idea what effort the British put into taking down these radars other than BB? It seems the BB crews went to great lengths to attack the radars but I haven't heard of anyone else doing it directly.

I can't remember it being mentioned in Ward or Woodward's book, although Jerry Pook does describe being tasked against a triangulated position for a radar - although not in Stanley I think. (Currently 2400 miles from my bookshelf so no quick reference available)

As for the air defences I remember in Morgan's book he had a Roland launched at him and obviously Mortimer was splashed by one, Pook saw one launched at Morrell's section during a Joint loft attack.

So the operators weren't exactly trigger shy - but it sounds like Vulcan was causing them to reactively shut off.

I know a feature of Pook's book is his frustration at the RN tasking of FW assets, particularly the poor (or non-existent) use of recce prior to a raid. Would it have been possible to find these systems from medium level or was the idea simply never floated?