PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norwegian media reporting RNoAF Hercules missing
Old 16th Mar 2012, 21:39
StopStart

Champagne anyone...?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could've been a storm/squall accentuated by the high terrain? The METARs for ENEV show a storm passing through there with gusts up to 72kts (133kph) although their destination was CAVOK for most of the day with about 10kts. The scene of search weather is clearly dreadful at the moment

I've done quite a lot of low flying in Norway in the J model and the narrow valleys funnelling wind can make it extremely bumpy, even on "nice" days - much more so than the Welsh and Scottish we're normally used to.

Without wishing to engage in too much conjecture at this phase of the SAR, the radar returns shown show a pretty gradual rate of climb, clear of the high ground. One wonders if they then encountered a massive shear/rotor, given the suggested wind speed, as they crested over the high ground?

The J has a single ELT - can't remember how long the battery lasts but it is a good while. It is also very well equipped with GPWS, TAWS, a digital moving map and an extremely effective mapping mode on the wx radar. The J also a big surplus of power at most times, certainly enough to out climb the terrain described and identified in the posts above. Given all that, coupled with my experience of the professionalism and high standards of the RNoAF, I'd be very surprised if this was a "simple" CFIT event.

Still hoping they'll come up with some good news.......