PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAAF - North Africa 1941/2 pictures
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2012, 16:03
Peter-RB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cracking pictures, my father and his Sqdn were also based at Edku, with many of the landscape shots looking similar only from a different position. He told me he was with a lot of SA flyers,
My dad was with 213 Sqdn then, on the 10th of April 1942 he writes in his diary

"its the Sqdn Birthday tomorrow Motto "When Aroused we Sting", then writes in the page for the 11th of April 1942:-
" Hancock and Wallace shot down Jerry", Lofty force landed in Edku, called all the blokes out and we lifted the kite and dragged him out..he was dead, poor lofty, what a great shame!
on nearly every page of his diaries he records the loss or death of some member of his Sqdn, no wonder he took so long to satrt to tell me and my brother what he did, saw and went through, it seems all the old guys I have spoken to who were in that 39/45 conflict were nearly all the same, and could not talk about what they saw and took part in.

Was Edku some sort of Salt lake with wet bits in it?

Edku was also mentioned on the Nat Geographic channel a few weeks ago in relation to that camp being the first base for the very newly formed Special Air Service, with two of the originals telling tales of waiting until flying personel we away from the tents that they then requisitioned for themselves along with various comfort things like beds and chairs. quiet possibly a very large camp to have held so many different services.

Peter R-B
Lancashire