PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OFFICER and AIRCREW 'CANDIDATES' PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 16th Mar 2012, 14:35
Alexrey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys, I know I'm beating a dead horse regarding this topic, but replies on this forum and requirements posted on www.raf.mod.uk are causing some ambiguities. This is what the RAF website has under nationality requirements:

You must meet certain nationality and residency criteria to join the RAF. To see if you qualify, please read the information below.Nationality

To be eligible to apply for any RAF job, you must fall into one of the following categories:
  • British Citizen
  • British National
  • British/Dual National
  • Commonwealth Citizen
  • Irish Republic National
I am a British Citizen (the words "British Citizen" are printed in my passport next to my photo), so I meet nationality requirements.

Under the residency requirements the RAF website has the following:

Residency
As well as meeting nationality requirements, you must also meet certain residency criteria to be eligible to apply for a job in the RAF.

UK Resident less than 3 years
If you have been resident in the United Kingdom for less than 3 years, but fall into one of the following categories then we will need to complete further checks on your eligibility during the application process. In the meantime, you should register you interest as normal.
  • You spent time abroad for travel/ study gap year reasons.
  • You lived abroad because your parents were employed by the UK government (including HM Forces) in a foreign country.
  • You are a British citizen with at least one parent who is a British citizen and you lived with your parents abroad and you attended secondary school within the European Economic Area or a Commonwealth Country.
As I have stated above, I am a British Citizen. Also, my mother is a British Citizen and we live in South Africa which is a Commonwealth Country. So with these two criteria met, I should be completely eligible to apply for a position in the RAF. Is there something that I'm just not seeing, or is the information on the RAF's website out of date?