PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Judging The Flare
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2002, 20:25
Chuck Ellsworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
big.al:

To properly judge flare height you " MUST " use the area of the runway where you plan to flare as your center of sight point.

By keeping the planned flair point as your aim point during the final approach it will be your most accurate method of flairing in the proper place.

You must use the same point on the runway that you used for the approach to properly judge the correct flare height.

Any instructor who teaches you to look at the far end of the runway does not understand the correct method to judge height and or distance during the most critical part of the approach and landing.

The landing flare and hold off is the most difficult to re teach of all the bad habits that I find when re training pilots in my advanced flying program.

And there should be no reason for pilots to be taught voodoo type garbage such as look at the far end of the runway, because it just plain is not correct. The farther you look from the area where you wish to flare and land the less accurate your judgement of height above the runway will be.

Nothing annoy's me more than sloppy approaches and landings.

Cat Driver: