PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Pacific Blue infringement in NZQN?
Old 16th Mar 2012, 04:37
Oakape

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regarding the use, or lack of Engine anti ice (TAI in the 73); What was the temp/dew point spread prior to takeoff ? Our books require TAI to be used with a spread of 3 degrees or less, and a temp of 10 degrees or less. I believe it's also a Boeing book requirement. Could this be their angle ?
I got the impression that Glasgow was talking about anti-icing prior to departure, using anti-icing fluid. Not using the aircraft equipment. Wing anti-ice is specifically mentioned.

Has anyone actually anti-iced in NZ? I know that de-icing is a relatively regular occurance in winter, but I am not aware if anti-icing is done in Queenstown & if so, what fluid type they have. Regardless, from what I can tell from the various reports, the conditions didn't warrant anti-icing the aircraft anyway, so it it very misleading, to say the least, to be even discussing the issue.

It looks like this guy is trying to impress & sway the court with a lot of technical mumbo-jumbo. Stuff that they will not understand & they will therefore not be able to distinguish fact from fiction. If it sounds impressive enough & he delivers it in a confident way, using his stated experience & title as a expert witness to give his comments an air of authority, then the non-aviation people such as the judge & the press will take what is being claimed, as fact. And the press reports seem to indicate that this is working.