PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Demise of Hong Kong Airlines
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2012, 04:12
changi.prison

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I left HKA years ago but when I was there.

I lived very frugally, had no wife or kids, lived in 700 Square feet on Lantau island, did not drink, smoke or party and I am very good with money. My average cost of living was 45000 per month.. Just to live. Do not forget you will need to pay for all your familys airline tickets each year to get out of Hong Kong.

That 700 square ft apartment is now 14000 a month, friends can not get kids in school for less than 10,000 a month plus the huge debenture per child. And the cost of living has skyrocketed.

OK so what does a First Year Captain make at CX
You can not even compare a first year Cathay captain to HKA. The Cathay captain contract from 5 years ago was $168375 Plus Schooling, 6 weeks paid holiday and all the other perks of the job.

Was the census specifically for Hong Kong based expat workers or an average of Hong Kong People? If it was for the later forget the results totally as we do not live like the HK people or shop at the wet market or eat 5 dollar fishball soup daily when sharing the 400 square ft apartment with 6 other family members.

Last edited by changi.prison; 16th Mar 2012 at 07:17. Reason: cathay details