PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Falklands' Most Daring Raid'
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2012, 23:41
MAINJAFAD

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
glojo

30th Apr and 3rd May don't count on the diversion of tanker assets as the only British aircraft that could get to the Falklands and back from ASI were the Vulcan and Victor. (On April 2nd the only aircraft that could do it was the Victor) Hercules and Nimrod AAR fit trials programmes were still in progress. Also no delay was caused to the early long range Hercules air drops as they didn't use AAR, but were fitted with up to 4 ex Andover overload fuel tanks in the cargo area.

The Argie TPS-43F and TPS-44 radar's were priority targets as they not only gave raid warning against offensive attacks against the airfield at Stanley and other places, but they were able to monitor SHAR CAP stations and transits (which allowed the Argies to abort attack and transport missions), plus workout the general location of the CVBG from the SHAR's / GR3's climb out / decent points, thus providing targeting information for the later Super Etendard attacks. (Having done 3 tours of the radar sites down there over 25 years over every month in the year, I wouldn't be surprised if the Argie radars did get the odd primary/IFF return off the ships and low level aircraft of the CVGB as I've seen the coastline of South America on the scopes of the West Falkland radar sites on numerous occasions where theoretically, I shouldn't have seen anything below 25000 ft. Anaprop and atmospheric ducting down there is really bad at times).

Harrier GR3's with SEAD capability didn't get down south until the final days of the war, hence again the only aircraft we had that had the capability to lug ARM's down south was the Vulcan (Buccaneer couldn't do it due to the fact they couldn't carry enough engine oil to last the length of the mission). Hence the Vulcan ARM missions were a very credible and in fact the only responce to a major thorn in the side of our operations.

Last edited by MAINJAFAD; 16th Mar 2012 at 00:36.