PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - P-A-T technique
Thread: P-A-T technique
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2012, 18:37
chopabeefer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having taught for several thousand hours in the RAF, I know how they do it at least, and it works brilliantly (not to say there isn't a better way of course, but I haven't seen it).

When a PAT comes out of a cows arse, it goes down. When a helicopter goes down, being it the initiation of the descent or the level off, it's PAT. Bear in mind that what you might be doing with the attitude is (trim button IN) holding it constant. For the climb and level it is APT. If you are in the cruise faster than your climb speed, then selecting a decel att has the benefits of starting the climb whilst reducing speed to best RoC or whatever you need. If you are already at the climb speed in the cruise, then hold the attitude.

I taught basic and advanced rotary at Shawbury, SH and SAR at OCU/Sqn level, did Standards and trapped. I never once saw an occasion where these techniques did not work perfectly, without modification. Pilots I have flown with in Civvy street who did not 'learn' these techniques, tend to do them anyway, without knowing what they were called - it's a natural way to fly.