PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Badajoz (BJZ)
Thread: Badajoz (BJZ)
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2012, 18:33
jabird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I humbly remind you lot in the UK that Badajoz is not out of the way as some people suggest - just because it is not near the Costas! It is in a beautiful part of real Spain and very close to the Portuguese border.
c3b - nothing to do with the Costas, it is still a small city with a limited tourist draw. Spain already has many places which are either inland (the Andalusian greats of Seville-Cordoba-Granada etc, not to mention many smaller towns which are also very popular - Ronda, Jaen etc) or on the north coast, well away from the crowds.

Mainland Spain has many great cities and I can proudly say I have visited most of them. Sorry, but Badajoz has never been on my bucket list, and if I was going back to Spain next week, I still wouldn't go there as there's quite a bit of the northwest I haven't done yet.

Wht Badajoz clearly does have is some population and few other alternative airports in the area unless you go to Lisbon. Logically, this should be able to support turboprop ops for the right operator. Ryanair used to be able to go into these markets on the basis that they could drop the starting prices to €0.01 and only server the route a couple of times each week. Badajoz must primarily be a domestic market, and that is better served by at least a daily rotation, hence Ryanair not having enough (ie 0) Q400s or equivalent to go in there.