PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Falklands' Most Daring Raid'
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2012, 14:23
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike7777777
On a point of historical accuracy , I should mention that Rodney would have been very unlikely to use a full 16" broadside for coastal bombardment, too much collateral damage to Rodney Would have a mess of the runway though.
Mike, you are probably right as coastal bombardment would have been late on in the war. I see she used to fire 4 or 5 gun salvoes in succession but she did against the Bismark.

<<At 09:44 Rodney now desperately short of fuel but determined to finish off the German ship, had closed to almost point blank range and was firing full nine gun broadsides into her.>>

But

<<After the battle Rodney Most of the damage was self inflicted;

· Inside smashed light fittings and sheared electric cables were everywhere, sanitary piping was ruptured, toilet bowls and urinal ceramics shattered, and various rivets and bolts in her structure sheared - probably during the firing of nine gun broadsides.>>

I recall reading one book where an army unit was pinned down in a hedge row by German machine guns in a wood across the field. A NGSO suddenly turned up and asked if they needed any help. A couple of minutes later it was like express trains going overhead and the woods erupted.

Even a 5 round salvo would have delivered around 10,000lbs in one bang!