PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - volotea
Thread: volotea
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2012, 13:50
pablo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I may get blasted for saying this, but in Spain I have had trouble finding any jobs at all outside aviation. Most employers do not even look at you if you have an aviation background, which adds to how difficult is already to find any jobs at all. The reasoning employers use is that aviation is rather attractive so if they employ you you eventually will go back to an aviation job.

If we add to it a cabin crew job is "vocational" and some companies try to take advantage of this...

So I understand why people sometimes would accept iffy T&Cs. Sometimes it's better to earn a bit of money while doing something you like doing and adding some experience, rather than sitting at home doing nothing, or doing something you don't like and earning a pittance anyway.

Nowadays you are lucky to find a job in Spain earning more than 700-800€, I have a few friends who are fresh out of University with a 5-year degree in Industrial Engineering and are hired on a "grant/practice" contract earning 700-800€, friends who are IT engineers doing an engineer job but hired as asst. administrative and earning 600-700. A friend just got pregnant and simply got fired, etc...
To me it looks like time is going backwards in terms of the so-called social benefits and "welfare state".

Nevertheless... I wonder where are the unions at all. I think those are the ones entitled to make a call about T&Cs, an individual has little leverage if any, unless you are vastly experienced. Even strong groups like Spanish ATCs have lost negotiations.
I used to think we should somehow not accept low T&Cs and stand up, etc... but I have been changing my mind lately.

Btw... I'm 100% Español, but I wrote in English so more people can see the issue from another point of view.