PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOUTHEND - 3 The new beginning
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2012, 10:29
Barling Magna

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with Expressflight that we're going to have to anticipate teething problems with the launch of what is essentially a new airport. Remember the Terminal Five launch? I like the look of SEN's terminal, but it seemed a bit small to me when I popped in last week (I know an extension is planned). With EZY and RE flights departing at similar times it's going to get a wee bit crowded.

I also agree that LTNman seems a bit fixated on SEN at the moment. I can't see why he should be that interested. Luton's future looks bright with its plans for expansion - the Council having even grander plans than the airport owners (why couldn't Southend BC have done that in the distant past?). I can't see SEN taking passengers away from Luton to any great extent. The Aer Arann switch to SEN is a one-off and a darned clever move by Stobart to get SEN up and running again with daily schedules before the EZY revolution. I wonder if Aer Arann will re-consider establishing some niche European schedules from SEN? If not, someone else will do so fairly soon I would have thought. Once EZY shows cosnsistently high load factors on its summer schedules, and its winter ski flights, surely other operators will follow.

Kon-tiki Sky appears from other postings to be highly doubtful. Let's hope that more established operators get involved - what was the problem with Danube Wings' DLE schedule? Maybe some more services will follow the Routes 2012 event at Tallinn in May?