PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2012, 10:08
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
Amen to that, AA62 and Joe! What can one say other than thank you, Danny?
I don't know about others but I am amazed at the detail that you can recall. As kookabat says, the little throw away asides such as the AoO indicator workings, the layout of a flare path, why the Master even existed, all of them dot the i's and cross the t's of what was involved, not in simply gaining a brevet, but of getting to an Operational Squadron in WW2. The immense organisation behind all these innumerable courses and postings must have been a story in itself.
What really comes out is the self reliance required of a pilot then. You had to take care of everything, for there was no-one else to do it for you. Navigation with nothing but a map and DR. Circuit flying at night with only some half dozen paraffin fed flares, a car battery, bulbs and a fan to help, and if you are lucky an alert airman with an Aldis. At the same time, the sky full of lots of others doing exactly the same as you!
Please keep dotting and crossing, Danny. It is the detail that both fascinates and informs. Oh, and your pay off punch lines. Love them!