PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mining FIFO flying.
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2012, 03:51
john_tullamarine

Received 111 Likes on 71 Posts
I reckon if any FIFO company tried to pull the above

I used to be involved with FIFO audits both in Australia and Indonesia.

My experience was that the typical operator did its reasonable best but, often, was hampered by operational and engineering ignorance.

For instance, during one particular audit, during a delay waiting for an aircraft I had an idle look over some performance charts for the particular FIFO aircraft operation being audited. To my surprise, my back of a fag packet sums come up with dramatically (lower) RTOW figures than the operator was using. A couple of double checks to convince myself of the delta soon revealed the problem - the operator's ops eng folk had somewhat made a hash of the calculations and omitted the critical limiting case. A quick call to the (mining) customer elicited a response along the lines of "put the audit to one side and fix the problem".

Interestingly, some years later I ran a 737 endorsement course for a group of that operator's pilots. My previous reputation/history was known to them and caused them all to be very attentive during the ground school and sim work when it came to performance aspects.

Likewise, often the mining folk responsible for FIFO contracts had next to no idea of what they didn't know about aircraft. Many was the time I sat in a boardroom briefing this or that management group about different certification and operating standards.

I understand that things have smartened up a tad in recent years ?