PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON - 6
Thread: LUTON - 6
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2012, 16:59
Dannyboy39

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And the six pack becomes an eight pack.
Is there physically enough space to extend out the pier to enable one more stand?
That's what I was thinking. Had a look at Google Earth - surely there isn't room to have 3 Code D aircraft and 1 Code C aircraft in that space, unless they move each aircraft much closer together?

I think both plans have its good and bad points - I just wish both parties would just work together for the common good! Something that baffles me at this - why do the airlines/airport continue to complete disregard airbridges for the Eastern apron? I know Ryanair and easyJet don't want to pay for it, but surely carriers like El Al, Monarch, Thomson et al wouldn't mind a few to offer a better passenger experience - especially if you're trying to market a higher standard of product than Ryanair?

In my opinion...

Future Luton Optimisation
Advantages
-More contact stands - better customer experience and less bussing.
-High speed run-offs - increased capacity; more pax.
-Less space used for car parking (ie. multi-storey car park)
Disadvantages
-Unprofessional and amateurish presentation in comparison to LLAOL/Abertis.
-No idea of cost - probably will cost £200m?
-Possible severance payment to Abertis of £300m coming out of Luton residents' council tax!

LLAOL/Abertis
Advantages
-Lesser cost.
-More detailed and quantifiable plan - ie. more belts, security lanes etc.
-Professional approach with backing of industry players.
-Aesthestically pleasing with use of the 1970s terminal.

Disadvantages
-They STILL haven't grasped the ridiculous surface access arrangements - the roundabout in the plan will still cross in/outbound traffic.
-Under-estimating demand? Growth of only less than 3% a year for 18 years?