PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 final crew conversation - Thread No. 2
Old 14th Mar 2012, 15:07
Lyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clearly, many here are conversant with the 330's systems, and its pilotage. I certainly am not. So I am curious as to some things.

When the ADR's begin to be interrogated by the computers, as to reliability, isn't this ongoing? Or is this 'suspicion' the result of already sensed anomaly? Because if it involves locking of control limits (certainly not locking controls, that would be crazy), are the pilots on board with the 'suspicion'?

Most certainly, right? Wouldn't the flight crew be apprised instantly if A/S was thought sour?

As in: "Monsieur, the computer is interrogating our displays, heads up..."

Would that be the cue to start UAS protocol? Certainly. So Bonin was informed at the outset of the 'beginning' of UAS? At least its possibility?

Now, since H. Spinkleman has stated the controls' limits are locked at the beginning of such interrogation, may we assume the THS stopped trimming shortly after? It is shown, FDR, the THS remains at 3.5 degrees until just at apogee? Bonin knew this of course, he was without trim to PITCH.

Another has said, essentially, that all control surfaces were acounted for until late in the game. I differ, here. Since the ailerons reporting is accomplished by its actuator, the aileron 'need not be present' to be accounted for? Similarly, an elevator is in the same situation? Is there a tickle conductor to the Trailing edge, so, if its continuity is interrupted by surface separation, it is known in the cockpit/ACARS? I have not heard of one.

The "Aircraft handled in predicted response per the FDR". That's nice, but it does not account for all controls' surfaces to the strictest extent. The recovered spoiler separated at its attach to its actuator; the recovered elevator, at its hinge line. It is acknowledged that to entertain control surface separation may be difficult, even fearful, but thus far, we have BEA saying that the a/c impacted "......complete". They did not say "Completely intact, whole".