PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair exodus, what is the plan?
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2012, 10:53
BurnDownTheRumormill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe the Captain is not as confident in your abilities as you are. I have no issue with an FO, one who I know I can trust, disconnecting the auto pilot in the right conditions. I have seen one too many FO's disconnecting the AP and completely f***k it up. Flying the line is no place for show boating, especially in busy airspace. If you want your kicks flying go and hire a Cessna for the weekend.
I agree with you, it's largely their bum on the line if the FO makes a meal out of it. But I was aiming that at the very small percentage of Captains who aren't confident in their own ability to do the most basic stuff so wouldn't dream of letting someone else have a pop. Maybe I didn't try hard to stress a considerant for traffic and any adverse conditions, I don't go trying to do this stuff into Gatwick so I can saunter off into the sunset with my aviators on feeling like Tom Cruise. I do it when appropriate because one day I might need that practice.

If that idiotic LTC wants personal satisfaction, give him permission to go use the forward toilet for a while.

This just exemplifies how things are going there..kids that know no better spouting the RYR mantra
I could understand where it was coming from in that case but this guy was well into his 50's and had worked for all manner of operators in the past. I think some guys truly believe, with real zeal, that they need to go around policing the pilot population with their own SOPs and theories in order to prevent a catastrophe.