PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair exodus, what is the plan?
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2012, 10:47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fastidious Bob.

I said:
Not allowed to practise V/S approaches on line? Not what the manual says.
You Said:
Suggest you study your manuals
Then you said:
I would never have a problem with my FO practising a V/S approach
I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say, but your SOP manual reference is a very good point, since the heading of the section you refer to is "Guidance". Words like that, along with "should", and "recommended", have a very different meaning to "must", "shall", "mandatory" etc and it is carefully written that way.
Whilst remembering that this is an "Exodus" thread, the dilution of experience is valid here, and the old fashioned skills that some of the guys here are trying to highlight, are very much an issue.
And on almost the same theme, with reference to the Lanzarote overrun, there were so many SOP violations there, that holding up the company manual, and saying "because of this, it couldn't happen here" is pointless. There is no company in the western world whose SOPs would allow an unstabilised approach to continue. And to say that a 3000 hour skipper would not have let it happen isn't really saying anything.

And before anyone gets the impression that I don't have lots of respect for anyone who jumps through the hoops with 3000 hours. I got my first jet command with 1700 hrs multi time. I then kept my head down, and refrained from telling everyone how good I was.

Last edited by 16024; 14th Mar 2012 at 10:59.