PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2012, 10:08
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you mean Ron Salt who was the acting General Manager or John Hedges who was eventually brought in as MD?
Makes little difference as both pretty much disliked my godfather.

No matter. The record, for the sake of posterity, will be set straight on the Ferranti site.

Moving on .. I regret never having had the opportunity to fly the 206 with Ferranti's SAS fitted. Did you get the chance to try this and, if so, could you perhaps describe the difference in handling against non-SAS-fitted 206's. My godfather always flew the 206 with little or no friction .. so I ended-up doing the same and which made them fairly sensitive. I was told the SAS delivered a more 'positive' feel?

One of the delights of being at Shoreham (other than its location) was listening to Warbie Warburton's reminiscences: he was a wonderful person.
From the Ferranti Thread:

Warby was such a vital element of what was Ferranti Helicopters that I can scarcely consider the company without bringing him to mind.

He was at the heart of the management trinity which included Bob Smith and Sebastian de Ferranti. Indeed, when Bob was off flying Warby was the one Sebastian would most often seek out.

Warby not only personified the dignity and character of personnel that Sebastian and Bob cultivated at Ferranti but was, in his own right (and as his obituary so aptly demonstrates), one of Britain's most accomplished pioneers in both fixed and rotary wing aviation.

His contribution as an essential member of the Ferranti team could never be over estimated. He was, on all counts, an impeccable gentleman aviator and manager par excellence.

Major Herbert 'Warby' Warburton at Ferranti's Beehive Operations Office, London Gatwick Airport with Ferranti Bell 206 G-AZZB
in the Background

Major Herbert Warburton MBE DFC CdeG (1916-1998)
Former Operations Manager, Ferranti Helicopters