PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Business travel on a PPL?
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2012, 23:20
BobD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying on Businees Trips

DS3, I have been following this thread with interest. I tend to be more of a 'lurker' than a poster, but you might be interested in my experience. I gained my PPL this time last year from a school in Florida, in just above the minimum hours possible. I had done 5 hours training in the UK to familiarise myself with the PA-28 before I went. Once I got the brown book, I have looked on it as a license to learn.

When I got back to the UK, I had a couple more lessons to familiarise myself with the UK RT. I then had a flight with an Instructor to a short grass strip (the runways in the USA are long and hard). I then found an outfit that would let me hire an aircraft when I visit Spain and Portugal (in Portimao), and have done a few trips from there. Following this, I did a few local trips in hired aircraft, but wanted more, so I explored the possibility of flying on business trips. Since then I have flown from Gamston to Haverfordwest, and from Gamston to Bristol Filton, both times on business (the first in a hired C-152, the second in my shared C-172). I was in the fortunate position both times of not having a deadline to meet, so I could pick the days when the WX Forecast was good. One day was last September, the second was last month. Both trips stretched my capabilities, but life is boring without challenges to rise to, and experiences to savour.

For some, a few local circuits every now and then is sufficient, but I want more from my flying than this. I am currently training for an IMC (whilst I still can), and after that - well I don't know yet, but it will be more than one hour jollies in the local area ( and I am not knocking those who get their satisfaction from this).

So my advice is go for it. Once you have your PPL, the world is your lobster (to quote Mr. Daley). Let us know how you get on.