PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair exodus, what is the plan?
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2012, 21:27
excrab

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
I have never worked for Ryanair, although I did once turn down the opportunity to go for an interview with them. Therefore I am not qualified to comment, really...

But the most worrying thing I have read on this thread is that a non precision approach using VS, but presumably flown with the autopilot engaged and in VORLOC, is considered unusual. What happens if they have to fly a night visual approach to an airfield with minimal approach aids and lighting. Until now I thought the stuff about low experience levels on the flight deck was being blown up out of proportion, now I am not so sure...

A few posts ago comment was made about experience required on the flight deck 15 years ago by charter companies. Eighteen months ago I was flying for a small, now extinct Swedish/greek charter company that required 5500 hours, if I remember correctly, for a captain, and had some F/Os with 5000+ hours who previously held commands with another extinct UK charter company but couldn't have a command with Hagars colleagues. Most of the F/Os had 2000 hrs or more so the least experienced crew we sent anywhere had 7500+ between them, and most had many thousands more...

Unfortunately robust SOPs and FDM do not make up for lack of experience...by definition FDM catches people, it doesn't prevent anything except by fear. Whatever anyone might want to believe experience does prevent incidents and accidents...a 737-800 is not a small turboprop or piston twin, and that is where pilots with 3000 hrs TT should be getting command experience, not sitting in a shiny jet with 180 passengers behind them...