PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - plans vs sat nav
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2012, 19:01
peterh337

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the Jepp database really that bad? I knew that they were missing lots of the smaller airfields, but I hadn't heard before that they had non-existant restricted areas! That one is new on me!
I am not aware of extraneous RAs etc shown for UK airspace but they have a habit of doing so for some other places e.g. Switzerland - here is a prize specimen I found a while ago, and no I can't work it out either:

(where apparently much of that airspace is active only by Notam - otherwise one look at that airspace would drive most people to do the IR )

and also I recall one bit over Italy.

Didn't they also recently show an NDB in Ireland, which had gone years before?

Ultimately, the accuracy of charts (and of flight planning software!) will be say 90-99% and the remainder will depend on how many pilots fly with it, and bother to flag up errors.

IMHO, very few people will bother to flag up errors to Jepp, in Europe, because very few people in Europe fly with the Jepp 1:500k "VFR/GPS" charts, and Jepps European customer service is atrocious. The biggest GA countries by far (UK, Germany, France) all publish their own high quality VFR charts. The German ones are also available electronically, within some pretty slick (German-only) flight planning software.

But if you want uniform representation over most of Europe, Jepp is the only option. They can also be found converted (scanned, probably) for Oziexplorer