PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Falklands' Most Daring Raid'
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2012, 18:08
glojo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Pontious
I certainly do not disagree with any of your points, the BB raids would as we all accept take a huge degree of planning and as you rightly point out there were not many of them, but can we just say those raids took place on that one specific date and the tankers would be available for operations for all the other periods? (question NOT a statement)

Getting every single tanker asset available for a raid on the 33rd day of the month will require all those aircraft to be fully operational, fuelled up and ready to roll on that date, so how long would that take to ensure they were all on the ground, all serviceable and all ready to roll on the 33rd?? What are the ramifications for any long range missions for the preceding days of those missions?

Hopefully you can understand those questions as all tankers were required for these missions and to get them all available on the apron ready to roll on one specific date may well take time? I am just trying to get a grasp of the mechanics to organise what I personally call an amazingly complex operation. Apologies to orca for not developing his interesting part of the question and a thousand apologies to any of the crews that took part in these BB missions, I have TOTAL respect for what you did and hopefully we all accept I am NOT suggesting anything other than that these were pushing the realms of capability to the very edges of our expertise?

Apologies for being a bit slow Pontious but are you confirming what I have said or are you querying it?
Originally Posted by Pontious
The Admiral had to decide - not the RAF.
That is what I said and fingers crossed we are all in agreement with that point.

I am NOT against these missions, never have been, never will be. They demonstrated a capability and I keep saying my only issue is with the 'Most Daring' suggestion.

Ken Scott
Yes those low fling missions did expose those brave pilots to small arms fire and and the very real risk of being shot down...., That is sadly what did happen to a few unlucky pilots. Hence you will NEVER hear me criticise the bravery, professionalism and courage of all aircrew and again I repeat that is why I query the title of this thread. I am NOT belittling the Vulcan raid, I am simply in the corner that states they feel other raids\missions may have been more daring!

Hopefully I have clarified my position and I wonder if the senior officer in command of organising these BB missions was getting Green Shield stamps for every gallon of aviation fuel or did they collect the Esso World Cup coins....