PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2012, 10:37
soggyboxers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G-AWGU

The only time I ever flew G-AWGU was back in 1980 when I was based in Shoreham with BCalH. We had a call from BAH at Gatwick asking if we could supply a pilot. Jock Cameron was unavailable and they urgently needed to use GU to ferry a spare engine bearing down to Penzance for the S61 which was unserviceable, with a backlog of passengers waiting to fly out to the Scillies. I was very impressed with all the flight instrumentation when I got into the aircraft, but less so when I was told that it was all unserviceable and all that was working was the stanby A/H and the E2B compass! An announcement had been made to the passengers prior to my arrival at Penzance and they all stood outside clapping as they'd been told that I was bringing the part which would render their transport serviceable again. I had to wait until the part had been changed and the 61 ground run in case they needed another one. I was very well looked after with a large variety of BAH meal vouchers ensuring that I was considerably heavier for my return journey to the Beehive!