PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOUTHEND - 3 The new beginning
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2012, 08:42
Expressflight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sorry LTNman but you must be rather dim if you don't see that remarks such as "nothing wrong with Southend .... if you happen to be a halibut living at the end of Southend's pier ..." are likely to provoke a lively response.

From 2135 until 2305 there is a train every 30 minutes to London, so few people are going to be affected unless there are inbound flight delays - quite possible of course, but probably rare. Yes, at present the lack of a train from London to give an arrival SEN before 0632 is a pity. You and I don't know what is going on behind the scenes to try to rectify that, yet you speak as if that's going to be the situation for ever and a day. Also, as Captinbirdseye mentioned, it seems quite likely that coach services will be introduced once pax numbers warrant it.

Finally, don't speak as if the majority of pax arrive by train because they don't - the latest figures for SOU, which has its own train station, show that only 18% of travellers use public transport and I believe that includes taxis.

Just give SEN a break and let it bed down before slating it. I must admit I do find it very surprising that LTN, with its 10 million ppa, still suffers horrendous local traffic congestion which means you have to allow an extra hour if you're driving to catch an early morning flight - but no airport infrastructure is perfect is it?