PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Judging The Flare
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2002, 09:22
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to admit I have no idea how high I am when I flare. I could probably make a guess, but it's certainly not something I think about when I'm flying.

What I do is this: as you start to ease back on the yoke, make a concious effort to look off into the distance - the end of the runway is usually a good place to look. Then, gradually ease back, keeping focused on the end of the runway, and trying not to let the 'plane sink. If there's little or no cross-wind, that's it - easy

Cross-winds complicate things a little - it sounds like you're probably at the stage where you're not ready to tackle cross-winds yet, but, for completeness:

If there's a cross-wind and you're using the wing-low method, you'll find you also need to increase the aileron and rudder as they become less efective. Again, keep your attention focused on the end of the runway, and just use whatever control it takes to keep the aircraft going in a straight and pointing down the runway.

The de-crabbing method takes a little practice to know when the aircraft is about to settle down, so you can de-crab just before. Depending on the type, you might be able to make this easier by choosing a nice nose-high attitude to land in which isn't necessarilly with the yoke all the way back, and just holding the yoke when you reach that attitude... that way, you decide the exact moment you touch down, rather than just waiting for it, which makes the de-crabbing easier. In types which don't like being landed with the yoke or stick anything other than all the way back, such as the Super Cub, don't use the de-crabbing method, stick to wing-low! But it works extremely well in the Europa, which doens't normally land with the stick full-back in any case.

Having said all that, everyone has their own way of flaring. The real trick is to speak to as many people as possible, try out all the ideas, and then stick with the one that works. Read all the replies here, and also read some students' diaries on Yahoo.

Good luck - and don't forget to have fun!

FFF
---------------