PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA seeks to raise Airline Pilot Standards
Old 13th Mar 2012, 06:15
Island-Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Additionally ... I, too, would like to understand the references to "AQP" - what is it about having completed an AQP program that says the pilot is so much better prepared than having completed a training program under the normal regulatory requirements?"

AQP is a more extensive training program that 'trains to proficiency' rather than staking it all on a single check ride. Pilots will have to meet qualification standards as set forth by the program in each maneuver or event. The training will be keyed more to practical line flying situations than an unrealistic series of maneuvers and approaches that comprise of today's qualification checks.

Our airline is finishing Phase II and will begin small group trials soon. I have to say the program definitely seems to be more geared to actually qualifying pilots to fly rather than training them to pass the check ride. essentially the mentality will become 'train them until they can do it well, regardless of how many simulator sessions it takes'. Piedmont I know has increased its simulator training to 18 sessions (72 hours total sim training) to meet AQP requirements for initial new hires. National average sim training I believe is 32 hours total for initial new hires under the old program.