PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Proper jet landing technique
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2012, 03:56
sevenstrokeroll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trim Damnit

I admit to just skimming the responses, but in NONE of them did I see the KEYWORD TRIM.

Trim for your Vref plus 5 knots and be in trim in the vicinity of the middle marker or 200 feet height above touchdown. Be on speed, be able to release your hand to prove plane is in trim, but of course Don't remove hand, unexpected shear could ruin your day.

IF you are flying a plane with underwing engines, remember when you pull off power, the nose may come down a bit. Tail mounted engines have less of a problem with this. But as you cut your power maintain your pitch by back pressure and the back pressure will clue you into your SPEED...the harder you pull the slower you are getting...in this way you don't have to look at the airspeed indicator.

Now, some will tell you to pull the throttles back smartly at BLANK feet...some planes even tell you how smart you are (RETARD) but it is all judgement...wind, even how much roughness is on the leading edge of your wing (old plane...ice...whatever)> I like to think about this part of landing in the same way as someone judges the automobile stopping at a stop sign...there is a feel to the deceleration rate.

And touchdown at Vref minus five was quite acceptable at our airline.

One thing I really think is useful is determining the slope of the runway...are you always landing downhill? that will kill your brakes a bit more! Are you landing long? ARe you landing on short runways. Are you using brakes too much?

Well...anyhoo, the whole thing about judging speed with the feel of the stick in trim may help you a bit.

Also...remember, even a commercial pilot (certificate) requires landing within 200 feet of your spot...so make sure every landing is a spot landing...and don't hesitate to take the last turnoff...as long as you are going to make it for sure.

Our airline was always using alot of brakes landing on runway23 at KCLT...it is downhill and the guys made a huge effort to not go to the end....longer taxi. But boy the brakes were smoking!

If you are flying a light jet, be sure you have calculated Vref carefully...also, be sure you airspeed indicator is accurate.

I have to point out one more thing. The wind gradient changes during touchdown and you might be landing with a kiss of tailwind. A calm wind might actually be a tiny tailwind by the time you touchdown.

Ok...good luck, and read the following books for a better understanding of landing.

1. Stick and Rudder...see the "stall down landing" for the best way to land anything...

2. Fly the Wing...great book, great advice

3. Handling the big jets...great book great advice.