PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Falklands' Most Daring Raid'
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2012, 13:36
Marcantilan

Received 45 Likes on 13 Posts
Regarding how to name the islands (about Lighting Mate post), the UN suggests that could be named Falklands/Malvinas if were named in an english language context and Malvinas/Falklands in spanish.

Moving forward from that (I think arguments regarding that are elsewhere here), Blackbuck raids (specially the first one) were more important than delivering bombs to the target.

With Vulcan capabilities on mind, Argentine defenses were re-deployed and time and resource consuming measures were taken to minimize the effects of a bombing mission in the mainland: From darkening cities to redeploying radars, to rehearsing scattering planes (and actually happening those some times due to false alarms) and, the more important thing, to maintain alert planes on the runway (the few Mirage IIIEAs)

In my humble opinion, Blackbuck missions had a very limited military value, but a tremendous effect on the strategic planning from the Argentine side.

On a side note, Argentine had timely intelligence about planes departing from Ascension Island and its payload (specially the Shrikes mission) I donīt know how it was obtained, but war diaries of the Argentine radar on island and defense positions in the mainlad reflects that.

Regards,