PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Pacific Blue infringement in NZQN?
Old 12th Mar 2012, 05:10
Gate_15L

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Have Pac Blue had their -800´s EGPWS modified so that the ¨bank angle¨callout is triggered earlier than standard? It triggers at 35 degrees in all the 737's I have flown.
Nope, they're standard. Goes off at 35 degrees, 40 and 45 degrees... they haven't been modded at all..

This manoeuvre triggered an automatic cockpit "bank angle'' warning, a scenario that can lead to stalling.
Hmmm at Flaps 15/25 for departure...? at 180 KIAS... Don't think so...

According to FCOM Vol 1, I can have flaps 15 out, and I have a 1.3 g maneuver margin to stick shake, which equates to 45 degrees AOB and thats with the speed right back at V2....

and who knows the aircraft better than Boeing? Mr Colin Glasgow? (Mind you he is ex-Air NZ and they know everything about flying! Even more than the aircraft manufacturer!)

As the craft turned around Deer Park Heights, it banked up to 30 degrees, when normal aircraft banking was typically 15 degrees.
30 degrees AoB is a normal maneuver for this aircraft. It's in no danger of stalling at this AoB under a constant altitude turn.

The aircraft descended slightly after takeoff, triggering an automatic "don't sink'' warning and "cut a corner'' flying around Slope Hill instead of directly overhead, the court was told.
From memory, SH is coded as a fly-by waypoint in the FMC, not flyover. Yes this does not absolve the aircrew, but an interesting point none the less. From memory the AIP says go overhead SH, but the Jepps have it shown as fly by in the BWN 3 departure. And once you reach 9800 ft, you head straight for the oceanic boundary anyway.
What if you reach 9800 ft before SH? From what I've seen, the FMC drops out the R252 SH because you've met the 9800A ft requirement and tracks direct to the oceanic boundary point without overheading SH.

Maybe they were already above 9800 ft and hence why it seemed they 'cut the corner'. I know Mr Glasgow said they barely reached 9000ft, but where did they 'barely reach' 9000 ft? Before the overhead of SH or after SH?
You can be at 9000 ft, intercept the R252 from SH and still be safe from terrain, as long as you track outbound on R252 as the SID says. There is no minimum SH crossing altitude in the SID.

Last edited by Gate_15L; 12th Mar 2012 at 05:29.