PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 7
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2012, 04:12
Machinbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HN39
If I may ask as a non-pilot: If you're struggling with roll control and your scan has narrowed to the ADI, is it plausible that you miss pitch altogether? Is it possible that he was aware of increasing pitch attitude, but didn't care because 15° was his target all along?
I was reluctant to answer this too quickly. My basic training was half a century ago. I could fly instruments OK when I was a PPL and it saved my overly aggressive posterior one day as I was flying XC into lowering ceilings and snow showers (in mountainous terrain to make things even more interesting.) My subsequent military training was excellent and left me with an unbreakable scan. While instructing instrument students, I have seen individuals suffer dangerous scan breakdowns when fatigued, but if PF had a scan breakdown, it was as bad as it gets. The only reason a pilot with airline training would have a scan breakdown as bad as PF apparently had would be if confronted with an urgent problem that he did not understand. An out of control roll oscillation fits that description.

As to why he would apply additional nose up input at the second stall warning, he probably thought TOGA thrust would protect him from the consequences. This would then be a result of the obsolete stall procedure that was being used until recently (concentrating on minimizing altitude loss).