PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Pacific Blue infringement in NZQN?
Old 12th Mar 2012, 02:21
framer

Received 494 Likes on 132 Posts
As the craft turned around Deer Park Heights, it banked up to 30 degrees, when normal aircraft banking was typically 15 degrees.
Since when has normal aircraft banking been 15 degrees?
This manoeuvre triggered an automatic cockpit "bank angle'' warning, a scenario that can lead to stalling.
Have Pac Blue had their -800´s EGPWS modified so that the ¨bank angle¨callout is triggered earlier than standard? It triggers at 35 degrees in all the 737's I have flown.

[quotePilots will fly an entire career and not hear this warning other than in a simulator.][/quote]

Not this pilot, I only have a few thousand hours on the -800 but I have heard it....what an extraordinary career I must have.

The aircraft did not reach minimum altitude between Deer Park and The Remarkables, a manouevre designed to allow enough climbing performance to ascend to more than 9000 feet and clear the Southern Alps.
Probably should have stayed visual and returned to land then, that is what the visual segment is for after all.
That said though, knowing what we know about Human Factors, does the company hold any responsibility for the violation? Did they put their Captain in a situation where the correct choice was so unattractive that more than a few of their staff would have done the same in that scenario?