PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Falklands' Most Daring Raid'
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2012, 22:50
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by orca
Someone correct me if I am wrong but no carrier missions were ever cancelled due to lack of avgas or of 1000lb weapons, were they? Was avgas was held at Ascension for Vulcan that should have been shipped south?
Avtur not Avgas, but I don't think Navaleye was suggesting better use of Avtur which of course could have been used by C130 or Nimrod but not direct use by the carriers.

Navaleye's question about using Harrier rather than Vulcan is well asked and the Harriers could most likely have had more bombs on target for far less effort. That being the case we return to the question of why use the Vulcan.

Archimedes has stated (IIRC) that it was a demonstration of capability rather than an overriding requirement.

The other supposition of how the Arg saw and responded is of course the question. We had a similar question regarding deployment of the Vulcan during Confrontation. It is very much a parallel history question.