PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DURHAM TEES VALLEY AIRPORT - 5
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2012, 20:55
ncleflights

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ryanair at MME

Ryanair did detailed research three years ago about a possible base at either MME or NCL. My understanding is that MME was ruled out quite quickly both on cost and the fact loads to possible destinations would be insufficient for a 800 series 737. NCL, airport management have acknowledged this previoulsy, was ruled out shortly after by Ryanair not on cost as they proposed a better deal for Ryanair than MME but again on the fact that loads would be too thin on the ground for a 787 800 based aircraft except that is to sunshine destinations which as we all know are well served from NCL. This is the reason why both NCL and MME were not suitable at the time as a Ryanair base.

Unless conditions have drastically improved at MME and I can not believe they have then I would be very surprised to see a Ryanair base at MME.

I would go as far as to say the opposite is the case. The recession has worsened. We now have the CONDEM government in power which with another APD hike due is possibly the most anti aviation government this country has ever had. MMEs financial situation has worsened so they are unlikely to be able to come up with the financial incentive Ryanair would demand.

The only possible scenario in which I can see a base coming to MME from Ryanair is if they are desperate to base two aircraft somewhere and have no other options available. However given that growth from Ryanair seems to now be concentrated outside the UK I cant see, unless a massive financial incentive is on the table that they would take a gamble on MME.