PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HEATHROW
Thread: HEATHROW
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2012, 18:41
Peter47

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Jabird

I've heard a annual terminal capacity of just over 90m quoted once the new T2 is complete with no increase in movements. This equates to c200 pax / movement or an average aircraft size of 250 seats.

This is about the same as Narita before the second runway opened but compares with c150 pax / mvmnt at LHR now.

I reckon that if the traffic is there then airlines will put on larger aircraft, if its not they will user lower frequency rather than surrender (in)valuable slots. Could that be a use for AA's 77Ws? Replacing BMI Regional jets to Aberdeen with 380 movements will obviously have an effect.

Another way of looking at it is 250,000 pax/day, though obviously more on a peak day. I don't know what the declared hourly capacity of the new T2 will be, but assuming c5,000/direction/hr giving a total airport declared capacity of close to 15,000 /d/hr so it looks achievable given that long haul departures now start at 0800 and go on throughout the day.

I was looking at schedules from regional airports, particularly MAN & see that there are now seven daily flights to the Middle East including an A380? Flights have also been started from DUB.

I read in a CAA report somewhere (I'm afraid that I don't have it to hand) that c35% of passengers at LHR were transferring. Does anyone know if this figure is changing over time?

Last edited by Peter47; 20th Mar 2012 at 21:23.