PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2012, 06:39
smurf84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
By standards I assume Underpants was referring to the recruitment process, entry requirements and some of the line flying SOs (not all, mind you).

If you have read 200 pages of this thread, you would learn that the pilots from the subcontinent have come under a barrage of criticism from the skippers/FOs (mainly the Poms/Yanks/Aussies) presently working with CX Needless to say, there are instances (associated with airlines in India) which provide substantial proof to their theories. However, there may be many rotten eggs. But not all are.

During my training for a PPL in a flight school down under, before I got my first solo, I came across a Grade 2 flying instructor (No, he wasn't from the subcontinent) and I asked him the course of action that should be taken when the static source failed (in a C152 that had no alternate static source). He didn't know what to say and conveniently walked away. Now, that's just one of them. Not all. Today, he would definitely want to get into Cathay's SO programme (maybe he is in it already), and if I ever saw him, I wouldn't judge him based on that question that got him knocked out 2 years ago.

Many of you would right away put your bet on blokes from the subcontinent when it comes to low standards. But I wouldn't generalize this case with all Indian pilots. Here's the bitter truth - There are nearly 6000 commercial pilots with 200+ hours unemployed in India at the moment. I repeat, 'many' of them took it up just for the money and lifestyle overpowering their passion for flying which would directly affect their basic knowledge. Maybe two-thirds of them (including myself) were trained in UK, Australia, New Zealand, USA, South Africa and Canada. There isn't much of GA happening in India. Not too many flight schools either. Unfortunately, I assume only a third of that alarming figure of 6000 would be employed with the airlines in the next 10-15 years. The rest would take up other jobs/businesses and move on. But these are desperate times for Indian pilots, and I agree not every one of us would fit the bill. I'd be a moron if I said we wouldn't take any opportunity that comes our way.

Cathay Pacific came to India (owing to the huge number of applications received) this year for the first time. According to reports, 77 qualified pilots were called for the advanced entry initial interview. Now these 77 pilots have to go through the same selection process as is conducted for pilots in the UK, USA, Australia, Canada, South Africa, New Zealand. There are some who fail and some who pass. The pilots who passed must have definitely met the standards set by Cathay Pacific (whether the standards of recruitment have gone down or not is not our headache). But the road doesn't end there. We still have to pass the written test and final interview. Wait, there's still flight grading and more checks (again, whether CX is not too strict about it is not our headache).

Cpt. Underpants and others on the same boat, with all due respect, I understand your frustration on Cathay's recruitment drive in the subcontinent and our pilots falling prey to the hidden terms and conditions of the airline (looting taxes, poor housing allowance, low salaries) which I assume would affect you. Yes, I've done a bit of reading on John Warham's 49ers. Maybe you and another 48 skippers/officers should take up this issue with the management. We have no fallback option but to apply for the Second Officer programme with some of the airlines. As for Cathay Pacific, we may not pass the test. But we are certainly hardworking and we will try again to earn that position. For the love of God, don't write us off. This is a learning curve and we get to learn from you. I'm sure you followed it too with years of training and on-the-job experience. Many of us are as good as some of the junior-level pilots from other countries. Neither is India's safety record as bad as you think it is compared to other parts of the world. I'm not making a mockery of my opinion, but there maybe a few hiccups. Hiccups that can be dealt with.

I reckon this has been discussed before, but I hope I haven't taken my views to another level which would result in an air of animosity towards each other.