PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 final crew conversation - Thread No. 2
Old 11th Mar 2012, 04:56
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Pilot error or pilot inadequacy

Good point PJ, and I am guilty of lapsing into the standard litany.

From a personal view as a PLF, I would prefer "error", implying that the pilot made a mistake versus pee poor training or ability to begin with. I want my crew to be at least "adequate", heh heh.

Make no mistake, the 'bus flies very close to some limits of the performance envelope when at high altitude, and the comments about not climbing due to weight and such show this. Until I went thru a lot of the manuals and such, I had no idea of how close to the mach limit at the alt of AF447. So a simple loss of speed indications is cause for very smooth and precise control inputs, FBW or not. Same for control of the engines, i.e. get rid of the auto stuff and keep the things where they were when the problem happened. That aspect of the throttles may come up in BEA's final report.

I'll return to the lurk mode unless I see something startling or a personal attack. @ Okie...... yeah, I could have done well in the heavies, but didn't want the responsibility. In a single seater, all you have to do is save yourself and you don't take 200 folks with you if you screw up or the jet is really FUBAR.