PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2012, 21:17
Danny42C

Fred,

Thanks for the Post. Yes, I had known about Grading Schools, but they must have come in after I went over to the States, so they didn't concern me. I am interested in what you tell me about their becoming (P) AFUs later, though - I thought that these had all been "remustered" from former SFTS, as mine (No. 9) had been.

As to bomb aimers, I believe it was the practice early on for the "Observer" (later Navigator) to find his way to the target. Having got there, he would be out of a job until they set off back. What better way to employ him than to stuff him down the nose with a bombsight? I'm not sure, but I think that that excellent war film "Target for Tonight" (the one in which S/Ldr Pickard and Wellington "F" for Freddie appeared) showed this taking place.

I find it hard to believe that rejects from these Grading Schools had to be "bribed", with offers of a Commission, to become Bomb Aimers. In the Air force I was in, you did what you were told and went where they sent you.
And I've often wondered what the Bomb Aimer did en route to and fro the target (I know they "doubled" as Gunners, but I should think that on a bombing run was when you needed all your gunners with eyes peeled!)

All the best, Fred - you probably are our Oldest Inhabitant and fully entitled to the best seat by the fire. I am as enthralled as any "sprog" by your highly detailed accounts, for my flying was a far simpler affair altogether.

Danny