PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - P-A-T technique
Thread: P-A-T technique
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2012, 14:25
Big Pistons Forever

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by foxmoth
If you apply the power, secondary effect pitches it up anyway so saving effort and giving a faster and more efficient transition to the climb, there is no noticeable acceleration either, and I do not see why balance is any easier applying power after establishing climb attitude. certainly the way I was taught.
My experience over 23 + years of teaching flying is that for the very early lessons the most effective way to learn is to break each manoever into sequential pieces. If you apply power first the yaw will have to be corrected at the same time as the aircraft is pitching up. Waiting for student to get the nose up before adding power is easier for the student. With practice they will be able to pitch up, add power and control yaw all at the same time which is the desired end state for demonstrating competence for this manoever.

In any case I would suggest that the order A-P-T or P-A-T has more to do with personal preferences and there is no one "right" way here. The important thing is that the student is setting the right attitude, uses the rudder to keep the aircraft in balance and trims away the stick force.