PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Most fuel efficient twin?
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2012, 13:21
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems to me some are still convinced we have proved particles can travel faster than light. It is a challenge rewriting the laws of physics and when it comes to the most basic (such as the fuel efficiency of engines and light aircraft) you have a real job on your hands.

You will get some efficiencies from automated and metered injection but even these are not going to be substantial, beyond that the physics of a combustion engine dont change a great deal from one make to another. In exactly the same way, make the fusealage more narrow, bin the spats etc all will have a reasonable impact on the engine(s) required and in turn on the ful burnt, but you get nothing for nothing. Some like sitting shoulder to shoulder in a Mooney and cosying up, others like to keep their friends a little further away and if they are big fat American friends will probably fly a Cirrus!

So in short I am afriad there really is no free lunch, the P2006 achieves its efficiency largely in the ways I have suggested and perfectly good I am sure it is but it is not because there is any amazing new technology that is at work - just the tried and tested, keep down the weight, keep down the drag and operate the engine at LOP or there abouts and anything you do beyond that will not amount to much of an improvement.